Sunday 3 July 2011

An Unfortunate Encounter with a Cow

Never before has the desire to slap someone's face been stronger than yesterday when I was at my daughter's ballet school.

One of my fellow ballet mamas said to me, "This Bersih thing..." and before she could finish her sentence, another mother interrupted with a smirk, "Oh, yes, all my husband's friends are planning to be out of town on that day. Some are even planning to go overseas just to get away."

So I'm sure, dear Reader, you will understand why I wanted to slap this condescending cow so badly.

To the bovine biddy I unfortunately had to share the same space for half an hour yesterday, I'd like to say:

Bersih 2.0 is a movement which is seeking positive change for all Malaysians – even you, you simpering, shallow housewife. People are going to risk their safety and possibly their lives to go out and march on 9 July to demand election reform. They are doing this in the hopes of reclaiming democracy for all Malaysians – including you and your children.

Instead of trying to "get away" your husband and his friends should be out there buying yellow T-shirts right this minute and planning to join the rally.

But you don't really care, do you? Perhaps because your husband has a hereditary title, you believe that you are insulated from all the injustices that afflict the man on the street. Perhaps because you're obviously not middle-class, you feel confident that you can fly away anytime the heat here gets a little too uncomfortable.

Perhaps you are really ignorant.

I wished I could have given you a piece of my mind yesterday but somehow the moment passed. But a whole day has passed and your condescension still rankles.

Now I wish I had been able to talk to you about Bersih and help you understand just why we're painting our world yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment