Tuesday 25 January 2011

Hung up on Happiness

Today, I listened to a recent BBC Free Thinking podcast about happiness and then came across a news article about happiness. I wondered not for the first time, why people are so worried about their happiness and that got me thinking...


My husband always says to me, "I just want you to be happy."

I invariably keep silent while my heart answers, "But I am happy."

I don't say it out loud because at that moment I'm probably tired, annoyed, a little melancholy. So, I will belatedly reply, "I'm just tired (or pissed off or down). I'm entitled."

And yes, we are all entitled to feel the opposite of happy many, many times a day. What counts is when we climb to that peak and we survey our life as it spreads out before us. If we say, "I have no regrets," then we cannot be anything but happy, right?

I have no regrets. This life I have now may not be perfect. It certainly isn't the life I envisioned for myself as a girl. But it's the best life ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment