Thursday 5 March 2009

Writer's Block

It all began with an interview with Colm Toibin published in The Manchester Review, in which he admitted that he found neither pleasure nor joy in writing.

This shocking confession by such a respected author sparked a discussion about miserable writers that has resonated with me all week. Why? Because I find writing hard. Even though I'm a hack who writes on commission, it's hard. That's why I daren't write for myself, i daren't find out what's roiling away inside me. I know that writing honestly will be painful, shameful and I fear I couldn't bear it.

Then I discover that so many other writers suffer so much when they write. But the compulsion to commit their thoughts, ideas, obsessions to paper is so overwhelming they can't help themselves.

Maybe one day, I'll find the courage to write - or maybe the need to write will overpower my fears.

1 comment:

  1. This is a pretty good start, Joo Lee. You come across as perfectly candid in this post! Methinks the cari makan program is what's shortcircuiting your inner promptings. Is there a "sensible parent" recording embedded deep in your subconscious? :-)

    ReplyDelete